As I was gathering my recipes to make a list for the commissary run, I realized I had a serious problem. I could not find my recipe for Poteca. Poteca is a yeast roll that my mom has been making for Christmas morning for as long as I can remember. Strangely, I never liked it as a child, but I have grown to love it. Christmas breakfast would not feel complete without it. I made a panicked phone call to my mom, who is visiting my sister for Christmas, asking her where the Poteca recipe should be found. She assured me that it was in the Betty Crocker cookbook. Well, I searched all through my 1950 and 1973 copies and it was nowhere to be found. My sister's Betty Crocker didn't include it either. Fortunately, my other sister has a Betty Crocker cookbook identical to my mom's. She was kind enough to scan the recipe so that I can continue the Poteca tradition. I thought I would pass it along. It's not difficult, and the mellow flavor of the walnuts, combined with that slightly tangy lemon flavor is so perfect. The filling keeps the yeast dough so moist. Mmmmm! My mouth is watering already! So, here it is, compliments of my sister and Betty Crocker, circa 1963. Don't you just love those groovy line drawings??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Meghan,
This poteca sweet roll sounds good. I copied the recipe and will have to try it. Love those nutty fillings.
Post a Comment